Hello everyone, today in this article we will show you how to download/install precision drivers for Windows 10/11. Touchpads appeared in the early 1990s and have evolved to the point where they can do more than just point and click. To improve the touchpad experience on Windows 10/11 laptops, Microsoft has adopted traditional touchpad functionality and developed Precision Touchpad. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Because of their increased utility, Microsoft has developed Precision drivers, which further enhance the capabilities of touchpads. However, not all laptops have these built-in drivers, especially if they are from older generations.
Fortunately, if you have compatible touchpads, you can install the Precision drivers manually. This article will walk you through all the necessary steps. Before proceeding, we recommend you to update Windows 11/10
Steps to Install Precision Drivers on Windows 10 and 11
Step 1: Check the touchpad and download the drivers
There are two drivers compatible with Windows Precision drivers – Elan and Synaptics. Before installing the Precision drivers, you should check which ones you have. To do this, you must:
- Open Windows “Device Manager”
- Expand the “Mice and Other Pointing Devices” section by clicking the arrow to the left of the icon.
- See if it says “Elan” or “Synaptics” pointing device. If you have a Lenovo laptop, you might see “Lenovo Pointing Device”, made by “Elan”.
- If it says “ Elan Pointing Device ”, you need to download it
- If you see “Synaptics Pointing Device”, download this instead.
- Extract or unzip the driver to any location.
Step 2: Install Windows Precision Drivers
The next step is to install the Precision driver software. You should make sure you have a mouse nearby in case the installation goes wrong and completely disables the touchpad.
Then follow these steps:
- Access your touchpad driver by following steps 1 to 3 in the previous section.
- Right click on the touchpad driver.
- Select “Update Driver” from the drop-down menu. A new window should appear.
- Click “Browse my computer for driver software”. You will need to manually locate the downloaded drivers.
- Select “Let me choose from a list of drivers available on my computer” in the next window.
- Select the “Have disk” button under the list of compatible drivers.
- Click the “Browse” button in the “Install from Disk” window that appears.
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the driver software in the previous section.
- Click on the ‘Autorun’ file.
- Press “Open”.
- Select “OK” when the other window appears.
- Wait a few minutes until the driver software appears in the list.
- You will receive a notification that the hardware may not work after installing the software, but you should still click “Yes”.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Once the installation is complete, click “Yes” when prompted to restart the system.
Step 3: Check if the drivers are installed correctly
When you restart the laptop, you should check if the Precision drivers are installed and working. To do this, you must:
- Click the Start menu icon at the bottom left of the screen.
- Navigate to “Settings” (gear icon) on the left.
- Select the “Devices” menu.
- Access the “Touchpad” options on the left.
- You should see a lot more customization options and adjustments than usual in this menu. There should be a note “Your PC has a precision touchpad” under the heading “Touchpad” at the top of the menu.
Touchpad does not work with precision pilots
If your touchpad does not work as it should after installing the Precision drivers, your touchpad may not be compatible with this software. If this happens, you need to perform a “Roll Back Driver” action. To do this, you must:
- Locate your touchpad driver in Device Manager (steps 1 to 3 of the first section).
- Right click on the driver.
- Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Driver” tab at the top.
- Select the ‘Roll Back Driver’ option.
- This should revert the driver to the previously installed version. Wait for the process to complete, then click “OK” when prompted to restart your system.
Once you restart Windows PC, the touchpad should work normally.
Benefits: How to Download/Install Windows 10 Precision Drivers
- The How to Download/Install Windows 10 Precision Drivers guide is free to read.
- We help many internet users follow up with interest in a convenient manner.
- The price of the How to Download/Install Windows 10 Precision Drivers guide is free.
FAQ: How to Download/Install Windows 10 Precision Drivers
In this guide, I told you about the How to Download/Install Windows 10 Precision Drivers.
In this blogging guide, we discuss about the How to Download/Install Windows 10 Precision Drivers, which is very helpful for knowledge fun fact purpose.
We hope you enjoy our article on How to Install Precision Drivers on Windows. If you succeed in installing the Precision Touchpad drivers, you will immediately notice the improvements. You will notice improved fluidity and responsiveness, as well as some new features such as multi-finger scrolling, scrolling, and more. Since Precision touchpads are significantly better than their counterparts, there is no reason not to install them on your laptop. If you liked our article, please share it with others.